Friday, March 8, 2013

6: Survival


One of my two boys wakes up in the middle of the night just about every night. It's either a lost "ba" (pacifier), a misplaced favorite stuffed animal, blankets askew or just a desire to start the new day at 4 AM (ya, um, no.) Once 6:30 AM hits though I have to actually arise with one or both of them. And it all starts at once: milk cups poured, wet diaper changed, breakfast served, THAT'S MIIINNNEEE!, an attempt at making coffee, etc. All this with my eyes half closed, the sun barely up in the sky.

This continues through the long, long day.

At precisely 7 PM we begin our bedtime routine: pajamas are changed into, teeth are brushed, books are selected and read, lights out, "night-nights" and "I love yous" all around, the end.

Are you laughing? Ya, it never happens like that. A friend recently said bedtime was like herding cats. Getting them both (or even a single child, I imagine, and I refuse to imagine more then two) in the same place at the same time is nearly impossible. Getting them to follow through with a task without whining or getting side-tracked is impossible. Getting them to sit still through story time is often impossible. Getting the 4 year old to actually stay in his bed once the door is shut is hopeless.

I then have a couple of hours to quell my nervous ticks. I would love to use this time to partake in a hobby or read a book but I am far too tired. A movie sounds nice but how long is it? Ah, the mindless world of the internet it is! At precisely 10 PM I am sound asleep.

Repeat.

So how do you survive everyday? How do you go through this parenting bit joyfully?

No comments:

Post a Comment