Wednesday, March 6, 2013

5: Slowing It Down



I have a nasty habit of wishing my kids childhoods away. Wanting this phase or that behavior to pass so I don't have to endure it any longer. Sleeping through the night, potty training, tantrums, etc...if they were only just a little bit older then everything will be OK. There is plenty to love about them right now but sometimes the bad stuff is what overwhelms my outlook. I've been making a conscience effort to focus on the positive little-boy-isms and realize that the yuck comes with the awesome.

Some things I'll miss when my kids get older:

1. Stripped footie pajamas. The cutest kids-wear ever invented.
2. The residual scent of baby shampoo in their hair.
3. Lisps (well, hopefully they'll grow out of these!)
4. Hugs and kisses and "I love yous"
5. Wanting to be in the same room with me rather then off in their shut-door bedroom with their headphones on listening to music I hate while playing some game on their iPod that I don't understand.  

What will you miss when your kids get bigger? What do you treasure about them right now?

2 comments:

  1. the pleasure simplicity brings... as in : What? I can bang these empty seltzer bottles on the garbage can and "play the drums"? AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That noise would not be pleasant to my ears but I get the sentiment! It is joyful to discover and learn again through your child.

      Delete